Today, the Cyber Security Council and CPX Holding, a leading provider of digital-first cybersecurity solutions and services, jointly launched a new report titled “Securing the Future: A Whitepaper on Cybersecurity in an AI-Driven World”.
The report examined the intricate dynamics of AI-driven cyber threats and the vulnerabilities associated with AI systems and presented strategies to bolster resilience while mitigating risks. With AI models like ChatGPT gaining immense popularity, the technology’s influence continues to expand across industries, making a robust cybersecurity strategy indispensable and essential for business growth and longevity.
The report found that if entities fail to establish policies and appropriate measures around AI and cybersecurity, the development of malicious AI could outpace their ability to counter it, leading to a myriad of consequences, including financial losses, reputational damage, and even threats to public safety.
The whitepaper also highlighted the need for more skilled cybersecurity talent, especially in AI, and called for closer collaboration between public and private sector stakeholders to enhance the nation’s cybersecurity benchmarks.
H.E. Dr. Mohamed Al Kuwaiti, Head of Cybersecurity for the UAE Government, said “We are excited to contribute to the dialogue surrounding AI and cybersecurity. This whitepaper is a crucial step toward securing our digital economy while also harnessing AI’s transformative power, both of which are top priorities for the UAE. The Cybersecurity Council invites all stakeholders to engage with this whitepaper, exploring the insights and recommendations it offers.”
The release of this whitepaper marks a significant milestone in the ongoing discourse about the future of cybersecurity with the adoption of AI. Created by thought leaders, cybersecurity experts, and practitioners, this report serves as a guide and comprehensive resource to provide a roadmap for governments, organizations, and individuals attempting to maneuver the growing world of AI and cybersecurity.
The report further suggests key best practices to mitigate cyber risks, which include:
- Strong authentication and access control – Limiting access to AI systems and data while ensuring stringent multi-factor authentication is critical
- Regular security audits and updates – Regular monitoring of AI systems for vulnerabilities, risks, and threats must be in place
- AI security and awareness training – Continual learning is required for all employees, from data scientists to business leaders, to do their part in effectively countering AI-powered threats
- Collaboration between AI developers, researchers, and security experts – A multi-disciplinary approach is required for the most comprehensive and effective solutions
- UAE collective effort – Promoting national initiatives such as Cyber Pulse to promote a more cyber-aware culture on both an individual and institutional level
Paul Lawson, Executive Director Cyber Defense, CPX, said “At a time when AI’s potential and innovative use cases are undeniable, its integration must be coupled with rigorous security measures. CPX is pleased to collaborate with the UAE Cybersecurity Council on this ground-breaking whitepaper that seeks to bridge the gap between AI and cybersecurity, offering guidance on the most pressing issues around the topic today. We extend our gratitude to the authors whose dedication and insights have shaped a document that promises to be a cornerstone in understanding the evolving nature of cybersecurity and AI”.
From AI-powered attacks to the protection of sensitive data, the report equips policymakers, cybersecurity practitioners, AI developers, and organizations with the tools they need to navigate the ever-changing threat landscape. For access to the full report, visit this link.