Cisco Secure today unveiled the future of simple and effective security with infrastructure agnostic, passwordless authentication by Duo Security. Integrated seamlessly into the existing Duo authentication experience used by more than 25,000 organizations globally, Duo passwordless authentication will enable enterprise users to skip the password and securely log into cloud applications via security keys or biometrics built into modern laptops and smartphones.
Duo passwordless authentication is part of Cisco’s industry-leading zero trust platform, securing access for any user, from any device, to any IT application or environment. The product is designed to be infrastructure agnostic, paving the way to a passwordless future while ensuring that enterprises can seamlessly protect any combination of cloud and on-premises applications without requiring multiple authentication products or leaving critical security gaps.
“Cisco has strived to develop passwordless authentication that meets the needs of a diverse and evolving workforce and allows the broadest set of enterprises to securely progress towards a passwordless future, regardless of their IT stack,” said Fady Younes, Cybersecurity Director, Middle East and Africa, Cisco. “It’s not an overstatement to say that passwordless authentication will have the most meaningful global impact on how users access data by making the easiest path the most secure.”
Duo passwordless authentication will:
• Simplify and strengthen authentication for accessing cloud applications protected by Duo single sign-on (SSO) and third-party SSO and identity providers, by leveraging security keys and platform biometrics such as Apple FaceID and TouchID, and Windows Hello. Pairing passwordless authentication with Duo SSO enables organizations to consolidate hundreds of passwords and authentications into one easy login for users to cloud applications.
• Provide one security tool for all authentication scenarios thanks to Duo’s compatibility with hundreds of applications and identity providers, with no infrastructure change required.
• Reduce risk of password-related threats and vulnerabilities such as phishing, stolen or weak passwords, password reuse, brute-force, man-in-the-middle attacks and password database compromise.
• Add layers of security to the authentication with device health and behaviour monitoring controls via Duo’s secure access product suite, further reducing risk in the event a biometric is stolen or not effective.
• Reduce the administrative burden of password-related help desk tickets and password resets.
Workforces are ripe for the adoption of passwordless authentication. According to the 2020 Duo Trusted Access Report, 80 percent of mobile devices used for work have biometrics configured, up 12 percent the past five years.
Duo passwordless authentication leverages the Web Authentication (WebAuthn) standard, based in asymmetric cryptography, enabling biometrics to be securely stored on and validated by the device, locally, as opposed to a centralized database. Duo helped drive WebAuthn’s ratification as an official web standard and adoption across platforms as a member of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) working group.
Duo security practices are built on ISO 27001, NIST’s Cyber Security Framework, and AICPA’s Trust Service Principles and are designed to meet GDPR and other privacy laws around the world. Duo is committed to the highest level of security for its customers – both public and private, and currently holds SOC2 Type II, ISO27001:2013, ISO27017:2015, and ISO27018:2019 certifications, as well as being FedRAMP authorized.
Duo passwordless authentication will be available for public preview beginning summer 2021.